Thursday 1 November 2012

PPP session 1 - John's Task/ Creative industries

What are the 'creative industries' that are relevant to graphic designers?

Designing for printed materials:

- Publications/ Editorial
- Publicity and promotional items
- Retail materials and displays/ Point of sale
- Corporate identity materials

Designing for digital communication:

- Websites/ emarketing/ internet
- Ebooks and digital publishing
- Apps
- Digital networking
- Blogging
- Social and professional networking

3Dimensiona design:

- Retail material
- Exhibitions/ Shows and 'environments'
- Packaging
- Signage and info graphics
- Corporate/ retail interiors

Future mediums:

- New technology in application
- Creative environmental experiences
- Interactive experience
- Projection
- Holography
- 4D

How do we identify the areas that may 'float your boat' or are particularly relevant to you?

6 tasks

Task 1: Identify 5 companies/ studios which you consider potentially synergetic to you personally, write a short explanatory paragraph and reasons for each.

Candy Black | Boutique Design Agency

I came across the design studio Candy Black and immediately loved the style of studio the creative service had to offer as it small, unique and very ambitious. The multi disciplinary service offers a print, digital and interiors which are all aspects of graphic design that I am keen to explore.






Brinkworth

Another agency I found called Brinkworth drew my attention due to is being an award winning service with a great list of clients. They offer design in the areas of interior, architecture along with graphics and branding, a variety of sectors which I would like to get my self involved in. In particular interior design to be able to understand space, material and context within a project. 








Central Illustration Agency 

Central Illustration Agency is a design service originated by a collection of illustrators and animators, my interest was drawn to the agency as illustration is one of my favourite sectors of design. Another reason I caught interest was because of the amount of famous and highly skilled illustrators and and animators that were featured in the gallery, many of which produce work which often inspire myself such as Stanley Chow. 







Anagrama

Anagrama are an international branding firm who have clients from all around the world, they are a creative design boutique who show skills in brand objectives, logo concepts and development of illustrative design. These powerful assets are what attracts my attention to the firm as it is business of creative individuals as well as design experts. I am particularly interested in the visual identity scheme such as packaging design, interior and promotional material.







Vault 49

Vault 49 are a creative agency that I have been interested for a long time, I used to produce illustrative work inspired by the designers and their projects when I was in school. Although my views on design have changed over the years they are the one design studio which has always kept my interest due to the innovative design projects they take part in, which include photography, illustration, graphic design,  set design and 3D modelling, fields of design I wish to explore.











Task 2: Identify the top choice and why you feel that they may have synergy with your practice now, or in the near future.

Out the five options I believe I have most synergy with Brinkworth, it's a creative agency which offers a multi disciplinary approach which creates lasting relationships with clients from all over the world. The London based agency offers services in interior, architecture and graphics all of which I aim to experiment with in my own professional practice.

Task 3: Is your choice based on location, direction of practice, the brand philosophy or client based.

One attraction is that the firm is based in London, the heart of design, a place filled with creative individuals and opportunities. I believe contacting and perhaps working for an agency like such would be a excellent opportunity to learn how to work as part of a solid design team ready to fit any client brief.

Task 4: What if none of those is your main reason for choosing to follow this organisation, what is specifically?

I particularly like Brinkworth and the services it provides in the interior design sector due to the clients the agency provides work for along with the strategy to design ensured for the clients. Producing work which involve interior and understanding space and material and the context in which it should be applied is an aspect of design I am eager to experiment with as well as practice professionally.

Task 5: Consider - Who they are/ who are you? Why you are contacting them and why they should listen? What do you want them to do next what what do you actually want? Why should they get back to you?

Why are Brinkworth: An award winning design agency based in London, a company who offer a variety of design experiences for a collection of clients.

Why am I: A second year graphic design student at Leeds College of Art interested in gaining experience over the summer in the creative industry.

Why am I contacting them and why should they listen: I wish to contact the firm because their work is exactly what I am interested in, a mixture of design aspects and a good client list to provide creative work for. I think I would be well suited working with a creative team like the mixed individuals at Brinkworth, they deliver well produced work to all their clients and this makes me keen to work for a company that who deliver creative and effective solutions.

Task 6: Now you have identified initially these studios you feel synergy with. Please list 8 methods you could utilise to contact them.

No comments:

Post a Comment